The Basilica of the Nativity of Mary or Basilica of Our Lady of Victories
is a Roman Catholic parish church in Senglea. It is dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary. It was most probably built by the architect Vittorio Cassar in 1580. In 1786 Pope Pius VI declared the church to be a “collegiata insignis”, while Pope Benedict XV in 1921 honored the church with the title of Basilica. The church was destroyed by bombs in 1941. To rebuild the church needed 15 years. The church was consecrated by Archbishop Gonzi on 24 August 1956.
Parish Population: 2,700
Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00, 8.00, 11.00am; 6.00pm
Saturday Evenings: 6.00pm
Weekdays (except Fridays): 6.30, 7.45am; 6.00pm
Fridays: 6.00, 7.45, 10.00 am and 6.00pm
Can. Robin Camilleri
27, St Lawrence Street
Mondays and Fridays:
4.30 – 6.00 pm
8.30 – 10.00am
N.B. The Parish Office is closed every first Friday of the month
Church of Our Lady of Safe Haven
The church, dedicated to Our Lady of Safe Haven (the Visitation), was built in 1596. It is known as the church of St. Philip Neri as it was given to the Oratorians priests who rebuilt it in 1690. Biship Vincenzo Labini consecrated this church on 22 April 1781. Don Angelo Raggio, the last Oratorian died in 1928 and with him the Oratorian presence in Malta came to an end. From this date the Archpriest of Senglea became responsible for the church. During the cholera epidemic (June 1837) this church and the friary adjacent to it served as a hospital, and when Senglea parish church was destroyed by bombs during the last war, St. Philip’s church served as the parish church. The Jesuits took over the administration of the church in 1957. In 2007 the Curia invited the Salesians of Don Bosco to set up a community in Senglea and they moved into St Philip’s on the 20 of October 2008.
Priest in charge
Fr. Antoine Farrugia S.D.B.
Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00; 9.30am
Saturday Evenings: 6.00pm (winter); 6.30pm (summer)
Weekdays: 8.00am; 6.00pm (winter); 6.30pm (summer)
St Julians Chapel
The church was built for the first time in 1311 and for the second time in 1539. On 19 February 1575 it became Vice-Parich Church of Vittoriosa. In 1710 it was built for the third time following plans laid by architect Lorenzo Gafa. Marriages may be celebrated in it and it is used as a Chapel for Perpetual Adoration.
St Julian’s Street, Senglea
Everyday: 8.00am – 8.00pm